Saturday, April 10, 2010

Times they are a-changing

I'm turning 40 this year. I'm a working mom with two boys--a 13-year old and a two-and-a-halfer, and my husband is a stay-at-home dad. Things were crazy enough with the teenager and the toddler, but as of this week, we've added grandparents to the mix.

Yes, my in-laws have moved in to our small, ranch house. My mother-in-law, bless her 77-year old heart, has been caring for her husband who has dementia. My father-in-law, well, he's a sweet guy. But to put it bluntly--he's demented.

It's time to get him more care. It's time for her to get support and help. She called us hysterically on Tuesday after she'd just driven the 2.5 hours home from visiting for Easter. She couldn't handle it any more, she's at her wit's end. So they moved in with us on Wednesday.

Hugh does crazy stuff. Last night he was eating his napkin. He wanted scissors to cut up his shoes. He holds the baby's arm and won't let go.  He got undressed in the living room at 4pm. "It's a full moon tonight!" cried my husband.

I don't know how she managed for four long years. But she did. And I can too.

I've snuck away for 45 minutes while the baby napped, but I need to go relieve Katie for a bit. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment